The Epson Pro Cinema series have produced some of the top models on the market. There has been a growing trend that Epson’s Pro Cinema model will become the new TV. The discussion of the projectors below (all part of the Epson Pro Cinema of course) will weigh in its advantages and disadvantages, as well as its specifications.
1. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 – OUR TOP PICK
- 1 1. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 – OUR TOP PICK
- 2 2. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030
- 3 3. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 – Best Gaming Projector
- 4 4. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 – Best High End Projector
- 5 5. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB
- 6 6. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080
- 7 7. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB
Great for gaming. One of the best products made by Epson.
- Its brightness is rated at 2,400 lumens
- It has Auto Iris
- Resolution is rated at 1920×1080
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 supports 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60, 480p and 480i
- It also supports 3D mode at Full HD 3D
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 weighs 18 pounds
- Lamp life is rated at 4,000 hours in full power, 5,000 when in eco-mode
- Lamp Type is E-TORL
- Lens Focus is operated manually
- Lens can be shifted both horizontally and vertically
- Image displayed ranges from 40 to 180 feet in inches
- Noise generated ranges between 22 decibels (in eco-mode) and 32 decibels (normal mode)
- Digital Keystone is set at vertical
- Aspect Ratio is 16:9 when in HD mode
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 is anamorphic ready
- It is THX certified
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 is somewhat the bigger version of the Epson Home Cinema 5010. Those familiar with the Epson Home Cinema 5010 will have no problem in operating the bigger Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010. Of course, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 have few extra features that are absent in the Epson Home Cinema 5010.
Case in point, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 is 3D ready (as stated above in the specifications).
One of the best features that the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 has is its 3D THX mode. As stated above, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 is THX certified. This means that your viewing experience will be truly enjoyable, as the accurate color palette utilized is combined with great lighting from the projector. This puts Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 on another level than the smaller Epson Home Cinema 5010. Also check out our Optoma 4k Projector review for more about THX.
Split Screen Mode and Iris
For presenters that need two screens to do their presentations, they can always activate the split screen/dual screen mode that the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 has. The smaller Epson Home Cinema 5010 also has this feature.
This feature allows you to project two images. The two images can have the same size or the other one could be bigger.
Also, a good projector produces black color at high levels, meaning the black being projected is really black. Poorer projectors project the color black in a hazy way (of course, the surface being projected on can also affect this). A dynamic iris is usually key in eliminating this problem. The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 has this feature.
Projectors are an unpredictable bunch when it comes to gauging life-spans. This is mostly because of their lamps. The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010’s lamp has a purported lifespan of 4,000 to 5,000 hours. That is pretty much above the norm for projectors. You can always utilize Epson’s generous warranty if your projector fails before the predicted time.
- The excellent 3D THX mode makes the viewing experience that much better
- Epson’s excellent warranty lasts for 3 years
- Excellent lamp life means that you will not be replacing the native lamp anytime soon
- Supports Split Screen Mode. This is very useful for multitaskers
- It has a very bright display, ensuring clarity
- Excellent hardware and excellent display, asists the Epson norm
- The Dynamic Iris addition makes the display better by having better black color quality
- Much heavier than the smaller Epson Home Cinema 5010.
2. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030
Another great choice by Epson. Offering some really sharp visuals and lots of display options
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is rear mounted
- Color and white brightness is both rated at 2,000 lumens
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 native aspect ratio is 16:9 but it is also compatible with 4:3
- Native resolution is rated at 1080p
- Lamp used by the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is the ETORL 230 W UHE
- Lamp life is rated at 4,000 hours for normal mode while the eco-mode nets an estimated lamp life of up to 5,000 hours
- Projected outputs can be in HD, 1080p, 2D and 3D
- Lens are operated manually
- It has a zoom ratio of 1:0- 2:1
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 weighs around 18.4 pounds
- For security, it has the Kensington Security Lock Port
- Fan noise will usually generate 22 to 32 decibels
- Operating distance is rated at 32 feet or 10 meters
- Throw ratio is rated at 1.34- 2.87
- Color processing is rated at 10 bit
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 can reproduce up to 1.07 billion colors
- This projector also has Auto Iris in its arsenal
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is the replacement for the older 9350. For those who have used the older 9350, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is the natural upgrade for you. As with Epson’s positioning of its two lines of projectors, the Powerlite Pro Cinema Series and the Home Cinema Series, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 should have a counterpart in the Home Series. That is not the case here , with Epson opting to continue the older Home Cinema 8350.
One thing to note about all Epson projectors is their LCD only policy. This is natural since Epson produces almost all the LCD panels that are used in other projectors. This LCD only policy greatly enhances the viewing experience as this causes the color black to be produced at the highest levels. Basically, this means that the color black that is being projecting is crisp and not grayish or undefined. Such is the mark of a quality projector.
As stated above, Epson’s LCD only policy greatly enhances the viewing experience by guaranteeing crisp blacks. However Epson pushes this further by giving the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 the Super-Resolution Technology. The guys at Epson has seen fit to give Epson projectors with the label “UB” this type of technology. The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is the first projector to have the Super-Resolution Technology without the “UB” moniker. The Super- Resolution Technology improves the quality of the display while leaving a few artifacts from the pre-editing stage. The display is visibly sharper when the Super- Resolution Technology without the loss of detail.
Also, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 also has the Dynamic Iris. This means that the blacks produced will be of high quality and will be very sharp. Couple that with the LCD only policy from Epson and your viewing experience will be great with Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030.
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 is a great fit presenters and viewers alike that needs two images to be projected. That is because the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 supports two HDMI sources. This ability has been rare for the past few years. The guys at Epson saw fit to end the dearth of projectors that can handle two HDMI sources. The only downside for this is that the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 only supports Picture-In-Picture mode. This means that the second picture will just be a subset to the main image. This could be bothersome to others but those who want two images to be projected at once will have to make do with what the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 offers.
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 4030 also has the black and white mode. For those who want to give their films or presentation an old vibe, the black and white mode is your friend. Do take note that Epson has added a tint of Sepia. This may or may not be a deal breaker for some.As such, your enjoyment of this feature depends on your own tastes.
- Expansive warranty as per usual guaranteed by Epson up to three years
- Excellent display guaranteed by the myriad of technologies (LCD,Super Res, Iris)
- Connectivity is assured by the two HDMI ports, RS-232 and more ports at your disposal
- Excellent value all in all if you consider the price, specs and the extra goodies
- Has the Epson’s guarantee of superior craftsmanship
- Picture-in-Picture may not be the best mode if you want to project to images at the same time
3. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 – Best Gaming Projector
Slightly more expensive, the 1985 offers some additional features and some really high quality image resolution.
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 uses LCD technology
- The color and white brightness is rated at 4,800 lumens
- Aspect Ratio is at 16:10
- Resolution is rated at 1080p
- Lamp life is rated at 3,000 hours (4,000 for Eco-mode)
- The lamp inside the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 is the 280 W UHE
- Can reproduce up to 1 billion colors
- Weighs around 10.2 pounds
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 produces around 39 decibels of sound (31 decibels in eco-mode)
- Has Kensington-style lock provision for the security conscious
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 is positioned by Epson as a typical home entertainment projector but with some additions. Although home theater projectors still offer the best in image quality (this kind of projectors are usually used in darkened rooms), the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 can still compete with the added benefit of a brighter display that is inherent with home entertainment projectors. It is even brighter than your typical home entertainment projector.
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 is capable enough to project your exploits while gaming. The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 has MHL, meaning you can wirelessly connect your laptop to the monitor if you have an existing wifi connection. Epson pushes this further by including Miracast technology. Miracast eliminates the need for a wifi connection as the Miracast itself will establish a separate wifi connection. This ability is very handy when you want to project movies or games. Do take note that there is a bit of lag so this is not advisable if you are in the championship level in DotA or LoL but everyday gaming should be okay. For more gaming projectors check out our top projectors for gaming.
Superb Lamp Life
As stated above, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985’s lamp is rated at 4,800 lumens. This means that the lamp is quite powerful. This comes with a downside, however, as the relatively powerful lamp will be overworked. Other lamps on other brands will have very short lifespans. This is not the case for the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 as the lamp has an estimated lifespan of 3,000 hours (4,000 in eco-mode). This is pretty long-lasting if compared to other similar projectors.
- Superb displays that can compete with home theatre projectors
- MHL and Miracast means you can use the projector without using cumbersome wires
- Superb lamp life juxtaposed to its relatively powerful lamp is always a plus
- DICOM mode is useful for those in the health field
- Split screen mode is supported
- The aforementioned lag may be detrimental if the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1985 is used for gaming. However this is true for almost all projectors. As stated above, this won’t be a problem if you’re not competing in high level gaming events.
4. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 – Best High End Projector
Good choice for gaming at home or outdoor projector screens. Good value for the price.
- Brightness and color output is rated at 1,800 lumens
- It has auto iris
- Aspect ratio is 16:9 at HD
- Resolution is 1920 by 1080
- It weighs around 16.1 pounds
- Lamp life is rated around 4,000 hours
- Lamp type is ETORL
- Lamp wattage is rated at 200 watts
- The display is an LCD one
- Lens can be focused manually
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 produces around 28 decibels
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 is yet another product from Epson. This projector has excellent lamp life rated around 4,000 hours in normal mode. It will yield more if you activate its eco-mode. It also has the auto iris to enhance the black color that is being produced, leading to a crispier image. The LCD technology also helps in producing great images as LCD is superior than other materials as far as projectors are concerned. The vaunted 3-year warranty by Epson is also enforced here.
- Epson’s excellent 3-year warranty
- The combination of auto-iris and LCD ensures excellent image quality
- Excellent lamp life is always a great quality
- Noise generated by the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 is acceptable
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9100 is ISF certified
- The display is in HD
- The brightness generated is a bit lacking
5. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB
Multifunctional display. Great for outdoors, gaming or indoor movies.
- Image brightness is rated at 1,600 lumens
- Image size falls in the range between 29.9 to 150 inches
- Optimum projection distance is falls between the range of 3 to 38 feet
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB is available in matte black only
- Warranty extends up to 3 years
- Supports 1080i, 1080p, 480i, 480p, 720p
- Native resolution is 1920 by 1080, High Definition in 1080p
- Native aspect ratio is 16:9
- Temperature falls between 41 to 95 fahrenheit
- Lamp type is E-TORL UHE 170 watt
- Lamp life is estimated at 2,500 hours, may reach up to 3,000 hours on eco-mode
- LCD technology is in use, specifically the EPSON 3LCD
- Manual operation is needed for focusing the lens
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB weighs around 12.35 pounds
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB was developed closely with the Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB. Similarities are abound between the two models but so are the differences. The pro version, as stated above, comes in black while the home version comes in white. The pro version comes with a spare lamp and a ceiling mount while the home version is bereft with these features. The pro version has the 3-year warranty while the home version has a 2-year warranty.
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB is built with mobility in mind. As such it is relatively small and can fit everywhere. The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB has its fan exhaust at the left side, with this design saving up more space. No shelf will be unfit for this sleek projector.
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 UB also has the vivid mode. Basically, the vivid mode makes the display better by having better color accuracy. The trade off for this is lower brightness. The Cinema Day and Night modes will afford you better colors at the expense of lumens.
- The sleek design means that mobility is ensured
- The modes available will afford you better color accuracy and better viewing experience
- The contrast ratio, which is 50,000:1 is more than adequate
- The room range is also adequate
- Availing the modes vivid/cinema day & night modes will sacrifice brightness
6. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080
Multifunctional display. Great for outdoors, gaming or indoor movies.
- Brightness is rated at around 1,200 lumens
- Has Auto Iris
- Resolution is rated at 1920 by 1080
- Supports 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60 and 480 p
- Weighs around 12.3 pounds
- Lamp life is rated around 1,700 hours, may reach up to 3,000 hours in eco-mode
- Lamp type is E-TORL while wattage is rated at 170 watts
- Has one lamp
- Produces up to 33 decibels of background noise, only up to 26 decibels in eco-mode
- Anamorphic ready
- Image size ranges from 40 inches to 150 inches
- Throw distance ranges from 8.4 to 14.7 inches
- Has a 0.7 inch 3 LCD
Epson has capitalized on the 1080p format and released the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080. While closely similar with the Epson Home Cinema 1080, the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 has some added bells and whistles that separates it from its counterpart. The most noticeable difference between the two is the color. The pro version is tinted in black while the home version is colored with white. Your preference will be the key in choosing what color you’ll like. The warranty is also a bit different, with the pro version getting a 3-year warranty while the home version has the shorter 2-year version. The pro version also has a spare lamp included in its package. The kicker here is that the pro version will have ongoing support plus full installation support. Although in performance, the two are basically the same (although the images generated by the pro version maybe a bit brighter).
- Ability to shift lens means that you can place the projector anywhere in the room and still get a pleasant viewing experience
- The expansive 3-year warranty is always a plus
- The active support provided by Epson to the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 means that you’ll have no problem in installing and maintaining the said product
- HD color mode will make the color accuracy better
- HD color mode will result into lesser brightness
7. Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB
An upgraded version of the other two Epsons. Again, great everything all around.
- Brightness is rated at 1,600 lumens
- Contrast is rated at 75,000:1
- The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB’s resolution is 1920 by 1080
- Aspect ratio is at 16:9, HD
- Supports 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60, 480p and 480i
- Wattage is rated at 285 watts
- Weighs around 16.5 pounds
- Lamp life is rated at 4,000 hours
- Lamp type included is the E-TORL
- Lamp wattage is rated at 200 watts
- LCD is used for the display
- Throw distance starts from 8.3 till 19.7 feet
- Image size ranges from 40 to 200 inches
- Noise generated amounts to 30 decibels, 22 decibels if in eco-mode
The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB is encased in an all-black exterior carapace. Epson has included the C2Fine Technology. This technology enables the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB to produce high definition images. This is also assisted with the Ultra Black and the Vertical Alignment technology that is exclusive to Epson projectors. Ultra Black and the Vertical Alignment technology allows the projector to create crisper black colors, ensuring a sharper image all around. Epson also included the FineFrame technology that allows the smoother transition of animation. The bevy of features crammed into this projector is only fitting as the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 7500 UB is a flagship for Epson
- The C2Fine technology ensures the projection of high definition images
- The twin features of Ultra Black and Vertical Alignment ensures that the black color in images will be superb
- The FineFram technology ensures the smoothness of motion that is projected
- Epson’s excellent warranty and support
- Flagship status ensures that due diligence was poured into making this product
- Brightness might be an issue